Teams in rogaining are split into categories depending on the age of the members:
- Junior - all team members are under 18 years of age (J)
- Youth - all team members are under 23 years of age. (Y) This is only used for the ACT Champs
- Open - all teams are in the open category (O)
- Veterans - all team members are over 40 years of age (V).
- Superveterans - all team members are over 55 years of age (S).
- Ultraveterans - all team members are over 65 years of age (U).
- Family (F).
Within each of these categories, there are mixed, mens and womens sub-categories. You may see in results codes like XO, MO, WO. These correspond to Mixed Open, Mens Open and Womens Open.
The age is counted as at the day of competition, or first day of competition if it is a 24 hour event.
Ultraveterans are also eligible for the superveterans, veterans and open category.
Superveterans are also eligible for the veterans and open category.
Veterans are also elibible for the open category.
Juniors are also elibible for the open category.
Youth are also elibible for the open category.