Saturday 15 August 6 pm to 11 pm. Foot only.
Sunday 16 August 9 am to 3 pm. Foot and cycle.
Virtual rogaine any time from Monday 17 August to Friday 11 September - map link for download will be available on this website.
Yes we’re back-ish…for Free Days of Rogaining! The Night/Day/Cycle Rogaine at Kowen Forest on the weekend of 15/16 August will be our first 'real' rogaine since the Paddy Pallin event on 1 March. The COVID-19 situation remains somewhat fluid, so anything could still happen, but let’s assume it will all be right on the night. Speaking of COVID, in line with current Government restrictions we will be operating under our ‘Return to Play Plan’. Critically this affects the number of people who can gather at the start and finish of the event – we will be limiting entries to 95 (as the 5 organisers must also be included in our maximum of 100) people per event, so think about whether you want to enter the Night (Saturday – 5 hours), Day or Cycle (both Sunday – 6 hours) events! To let as many people enter as possible please just enter the night or the day/cycle, not both, this year. A MapRun alternative is also being planned and will also be available after the event if you wish to come back and have a second rogaine.
Note to ANU students – you are welcome to enter the Saturday evening event now. Sunday event is full.
We will also be implementing safe procedures for handing out maps and navlight punching. Please read your final instructions below carefully. We will still provide maps and toilets, but sadly it means there will be no catering at the Hash House and no prize ceremony. On the plus side the event will be free for all entrants.
A virtual event will open on the Sunday afternoon after the day event. You do not need to enter here for the virtual event.
- First and foremost, if you have recently returned from overseas, if you have travelled from a known COVID-19 ‘hotspot’ without a designated period of quarantine/isolation, or if you are awaiting the result of a COVID-19 test, or if you are feeling unwell, or have flu-like symptoms, please stay home.
- We have tried to make this event as contact-free as possible. The obvious signs are no catering and no prize ceremony, but gloved organisers will also be handing out/collecting maps and tags with as few touches as possible. Please drop your team-numbered flight plan directly into the box provided. Touch points at the toilets will be cleaned regularly.
- We have deliberately limited entries for each day of the event to a maximum of 95 competitors (+5 organisers) to keep under the ACT’s mandated (at the time of printing) 100-person cap on gatherings.
- Please maintain a safe 1.5m distance from other teams at all times - including while doing your route planning, at the briefings, at the start and finish, and when approaching controls - a few extra seconds now could save a life later.
- We have made the navlights hands-free by strapping them to the same feature as the control flag, mounted perpendicular to the feature and ready to use without needing to touch it with your hands - just present your navlight wrist tag to the reader so the navlight flashes in the usual way.
Please bring to the event a printed and completed indemnity form located here. Check the team list for your relevant event on the home page to ensure that all details for your team including category are correct.
- Ensure that all team members sign a separate indemnity form. Parents or guardians must sign for people under 18. Also provide registration number(s) of your car(s) at the Hash House.
- Present your completed indemnity form at the registration desk.
- Medical advice: All competitors should consider advising their partner of any pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, susceptibility to anaphylaxis) that may require first-aid action on course. This should include a description of the symptoms, the required first-aid action, and the location in their bag of any medication (such as sugar, ventolin, epi-pen, anti-histamines).
The Hash House is located at the end of Sparrow Hill Road. Enter off the Kings Highway (B52) – if travelling from Queanbeyan the turn-off is 9.3km E of Yass Rd/Bungendore Rd roundabout and 1.3km E of the railway bridge at the ACT/NSW border; from Bungendore its 14.9km W of Bungendore Rd/Molonglo St roundabout and 5km W of HQJOC roundabout.
Registration, Map Availability, Start Times
The 5-hour night event will commence by way of a mass start at 18:00 sharp on Saturday, with a final briefing at 17:50. Registration for the night event will open at 16:00. The 6-hour foot and cycle day event/s will commence at 09:00 sharp on Sunday, with a final briefing at 08:50. Registration for the day event will open at 07:00. To register, you will need to bring:
- first aid kit, so that it can be checked; see below for what it must contain
- one completed indemnity form per team member.
Electronic scoring: As this event is using the Navlight system of scoring, each team member will be issued with a wristband and tag upon registration.
You will also be given pre-marked maps, control descriptions, course setter's notes and a small copy of the map to be used as a flight plan. We recommend that you arrive at least an hour prior to the start of the event to allow enough time for final preparations and route planning. Each team must mark their intended route on the flight plan and hand it in before starting.
There will be one A3 map, 1:25,000 with 10 m contour interval. It contains mainly pine forest with sections of native bush. The course setters notes and control descriptions have been printed on the back.
Please bring enough water for at least 5 hours. There are no water drops on course, so please plan to be self-sufficient. We do not recommend drinking any water found on course.
Please Bring to the Event
- completed indemnity form
- map will be printed on Teslin waterproof paper with control descriptions on reverse side. Contact or map case optional.
- Coloured pens, pencils, scissors, highlighter pen, board for map preparation
- Some food for before and/or after the event. Sorry, there will not be any catering provided.
Carry on Course
- Whistle (per person)
- Basic first aid kit (that includes 2 compression bandages and 1 wound dressing) (per team)
- Helmet (if competing on the bike)
Other items we recommended that you carry
- food for the event
- water for 5 hours.
- Mobile phone for emergencies.
- Space blanket (per person)
- Sunscreen, sun-hat and/or beanie.
- raincoat, warm jacket
- spare tubes (cyclists only)
- pump (cyclists only)
Mobile Phone Coverage
Phone coverage is a bit patchy across the course, but ok on higher ground. The emergency phone number will be printed on the front of the maps.
- No pets; no alcohol; no firearms: no fires
- No altimeters, pedometers or GPS-capable devices such as watches and smartphones.
- Smartphones may be carried for emergency use only - they cannot be used for time-keeping or photography.
Summary of Event Rules and Scoring
- The only navigational aids permitted are the maps we provide together with your compasses.
- Teams consist of 2 to 5 competitors and must remain within earshot of each other at all times. All members must simultaneously get to within 5m of each control point.
- All team members must punch their Navlight tags at each control to score points.
- If a Navlight punch has failed, record the three letter code visible inside the end of the punch.
- Competitors must not enter out-of-bounds areas; gates must be left as found; stock must not be disturbed.
- The organisers may disqualify a team if it acts against these rules or against the spirit of the event.
- A team can retire a member at the hash house. This will finish that team's event. A new team can form but it must start with zero score.
- Late Penalty: 10 points per minute (or part) late. Disqualification if more than 30 minutes late.
- If teams score equal points then the first team home will have a higher rank.
Presentation and Awards
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, no catering, printed results or prize presentations will be available on the day.
If you have queries contact Stephen.